You may remember that last year, Alan walked from Orzola to Playa Blanca in Lanzarote to raise funds for two charities: “Niños del Tercer Mundo” (Children of the third world) and “The Rose Road Association”. He raised a little over £1300 to be split equally between the two. On April 7th 2012, he wil begin his next walk. But this time, it’s a lot further! He will be walking the seven main Canary Islands: Lanzarote, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Tenerife, La Palma, El Hierro and La Gomera. This comes to a little under 500 kilometers in total – no mean feat!!
So – he’s been in training for this with the lovely Mitch Mitchell of www.personaltrainerlanzarote.com keeping him on target and disciplined. Mitch has been monitoring Alan and helping him with exercise regimes, and specific routines that will help him on the journey, which should take between 2 and 3 weeks for him to complete. He is looking to cover an average of 30 km per day.
More about the charities:
- Ninos del Tercer Mundo is a charity local to Lanzarote, which raises money for schools and village projects in the 3rd world. More info HERE
- The Rose Road Association is a charity in the UK that supports handicapped children and the families). More info HERE
How can you help?
We really could do with lots of help – and so are unashamedly asking for your support. Yes we would obviously love for as many of you to donate as possible (which you can do via the JustGiving bannr below) – but of course, not everyone can afford to (and we are very aware that charity donations are a very personal choice)… but there are many other ways you can help as more publicity means more funds for the Rose Road Association and Niños del Tercer Mundo!
1. Join his Facebook page and share links to articles and updates displayed on the page on Facebook
2. Follow him on Twitter and retweet his tweets
3. Tell all your friends via social networks or in person
4. If you have a blog or website write about it, or if you have a website please link to the Just Giving page.
5. If you have a bar would you consider arranging a fund raising event at the time? (For instance, when he did the Lanzarote walk last year the staff of Wax Bar in Playa Blanca donated their tips)
6. If you have another form of business would you consider something else you can do you help? (For instance, Allan Day has offered a large percentage of his online music sales for the period Alan’s away)
7. If you work, spread the word amongst your colleagues
8. Do you have any goods, or services you could donate that we can either auction or sell off?
9. Do you have contacts on the other islands that could help?
He does not need kit for the walks, as this has been supported very kindly by Axia FX, the currency specialists.
If you see Alan out and about – then do go and say hello! He will be wearing t-shirts displaying the walk details… and carrying a large rucksack. I will be keeping people updated on his prgress constantly, on his blog at www.alangandy.com
We’ll probably come up with some more ideas between now and when he does the walk, but we’d also love to hear any suggestions you might have if you want to email Alan direct on email@example.com or leave a reply here.
PS: The photos is of Alan at the end of his walk last year.